Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Home in the Sky

The absence of new posts here for the past several weeks is the result of a virus that had me bed ridden on and off for a couple of weeks and then by too many things happening at once, leaving too little time for writing. In spite of my usually robust good health, occassional lapses come with the territory in places like Central America. I am told that parasites are a common problem that should be tested for regularly. Something to which I can look forward.



A new home is the biggest recent change, moving from my tiny apartment on a hill overlooking the town to a slightly larger cottage on another hill with a fabulous view of the bay. The old place was fine for one person with very basic needs, but a bit cramped and uncomfortable now that we are two of us plus a dog. The new place makes me feel more settled, like I really live here rather than just being on an extended vacation.



Pretty, fully equipped and well maintained, the new house is everything we could want and comes with twice weekly maid service, too. The wraparound terrace, shaded by overhanging trees, is naturally where I find myself spending most of my time and gives me a clear line of sight to the wireless modem down the hill for work. Birds and brilliantly coloured butterflies flit about the place in the day. At night fireflies wander among the trees and all that can be heard is the surf far below. The only negative to living up here is the heart bursting climb from the town, but now four wheel drive has solved that problem.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics