Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Hasta Luego

It is January 1st, 2008 and my last day here. I fly out in the early hours of tomorrow morning. New Years Eve was a quiet evening in conversation over supper with a friend, then a stroll down to the clock tower in the centre of town, where a bagpiper played Auld Lang Syne at midnight for the assembled townspeople followed by kisses, handshakes and hopeful wishes for the coming year. It was a fine way to mark the old year's passing.


The temperature has plunged today and wind chill has taken it down to 20 degrees below zero centigrade. It is the kind of cold that makes your face ache and causes you to involuntarily hunch your shoulders, trying to give your neck the added protection of just one more millimetre of collar. I really didn't need to be reminded of why I am getting out of here. My farewells have been made and my loose ends tied off. It's time to go.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics